There is a whole lot to consider when choosing a web host, so a business will need to consider their decision carefully. Building and tweaking a site until it’s just right takes a lot of worthwhile effort, but if the site isn’t hosted properly, then it will all be for nothing. Fortunately, in today’s internet savvy world, address providers are no longer the impenetrable, technically overwhelming entities that they used to be, and a business should have no trouble finding a service that will meet all of their needs.
What should a business look for when choosing a web host?
Because every company is different, their online needs will be different as well. There is a huge difference between a freelance photographer’s site, and a site that is engineered for retail, and some service providers are better set up for certain types of sites. In general, though, there are a handful of items to focus on when searching for a service, and they include:
- Storage and bandwidth – Sites range greatly in the amount of data they contain, so an essential consideration is how much data storage and bandwidth the provider offers. Several GB of data is usually enough for a small or medium size business site, but if there are a lot of images or media files, more may be required. Also, popular sites that contain a lot of images (like retail storefronts) will need to secure enough bandwidth so that they don’t have to pay extra once they run out of data. A strong service provider can help a company calculate their data uploading and downloading needs.
- Database options – Business sites often have to maintain a trove of information on the backend, and this requires a reliable, intuitive database. MySQL is the standard, though some providers will also offer Oracle, PostsgreSQL, or other database builds.
- Framework support – Some providers have expert knowledge in certain popular frameworks, like WordPress. Choosing a web host with this knowledge ensures better technical support and easy site updating.
- E-mail accounts and other features – E-mail accounts and e-mail delivery options ensure the business is always in close contact with its clientele, and promotes a professional appearance. Make sure the service provider offers e-mail as part of their packages.
- Tech support and site backup – Things sometimes go wrong on the internet, but if the service provider responds quickly and knowledgeably, the damage can be mitigated altogether. Pick a service with deep technical knowledge and a willingness to back up the site, and the company will have a strong safety net.
- Reliability and speed – It goes without saying that a business will want its site to be up as much as possible, and as fast as possible. This requires a strong network infrastructure and insight into setting up these resources. A faster and reliable site is a must, and should be considered a critical element of any service provider.
These are just a few things to keep in mind when selecting a service, but a business doesn’t have to make their decision without guidance. A reputable service provider will happily outline a company’s options and find the best plan for their site.
Return to Main Topic: About Web Hosting
How are SEO and Web Hosting Interconnected?
There is a significant link between SEO and web hosting, and a company ignores it at its own peril. Business owners are becoming wise to search engine optimization and the impact it can have on a business’s ability to generate customers. However, it can be a tricky thing to nail down, and exactly what steers it is knowledge that only Google has. Read more...
Full Service Web Hosting Should Include Security
When a business wants maximum security, reliability, and speed for their site, what they really want is full service web hosting. A lot of company owners fall into the trap of cutting corners in this area, and they eventually pay for it. Read more...
Why finding a Reputable Web Hosting Company is Important
A commercial website is essentially a storefront, a portal to the outside world through which the company must constantly interact with clients and market their product. In a word, it’s precious. But a lot of businesses don’t handle their sites like the valuable pieces of data they are, and rely on cut rate, or even free hosting to manage their online presence. Read more...
Good Web Hosting Can Help Online Business Success
Depending on the size of the company and their online presence, looking at and investing in a web hosting service can increase traffic flow significantly. Some individuals have their own internet sites that are easy to maintain using a number of free services that are available. However, when it comes to a company, even one considered to be small, trying to conduct business over the internet and amplify their customer base, there really is no other option than to use a web hosting company that can improve the site’s overall function. Read more...
Managed Wordpress hosting is something that many businesses will eventually migrate to, and for good reason. As one of the most open ended and powerful e-commerce platforms available, Wordpress (WP) has spawned an incredible number of plugins and applications. This, along with the unique challenges the platform raises, has created the need for services that secure and oversee sites that are built using the tool. After all, when something goes wrong with the family car, a dealership familiar with the make and model will usually provide the best service. In the same vein, it is best to use a service familiar with the ins and outs of WP when managing a site created using its platform. Read more...
Why picking a Deluxe Web Hosting is the better choice
Deluxe web hosting packages can completely transform the way a business manages their site, and the extra cost is usually negligible compared to the superior features. Look, there are hundreds and hundreds of providers out there, and it’s always tempting to shop using price as a guide. It’s not wrong to consider price in the equation, but it shouldn’t be the primary factor. Read more...
Web Hosting Costs: What should they be?
Although it’s practically limitless, web space has a cost, though compared to actual, physical land, it’s much less expensive. However, as in all things, site owners will get what they pay for, and if they pay for a sub-bar hosting service, they are taking a gamble with an essential aspect of their business. For many companies, a smoothly running site is no longer a luxury or a mark of excessive pride Read more...
What Is an Unlimited Web Hosting Plan?
-Or better yet; What does Unlimited Mean to a Web Host?Lets face it web hosting can be very confusing. Words and terms are bantered about with very little definition of what they really mean. Read more...